Tuesday, June 14, 2011

When life hands you lemons

So the lemon cake turned out terrific.

Several people had more than one piece, and this among a group of women who discuss regularly whether dessert is "worth it" (that kind of worth being a concept that I can not comprehend at all - stay up too late, extra glass of wine, second piece of cake, always worth it - though likely this speaks to a lack of self control more than a joie de vivre).

The reading itself was great too. Afterwards, I had a chance to speak with Aimee Bender. I did not hug her.

And just to prove that I'm not ready to learn anything about myself, as I was covering the cake after everyone left, I actually thought - that wasn't so bad, maybe I'll make one again. As if somehow I'm that girl who pulls off a scratch cake.

I don't know, maybe for a little while, I was.

2 comments:

Allison Kruskamp said...

OMG, you've always been that girl!
ps - Realize i use "OMG" for comic relief b/c i am serious!
ps - as a writer you could have worded that so much better than i.

Anonymous said...

Firstly, the cake was awesome. I'll trade you some for granola anytime.
Secondly, you totally are that girl. You certainly were on the night.